Granted Minster status in 2010, Grimsby Minster is the parish church dedicated to St James. Located in the heart of Grimsby, the church welcomes all – for worship, for coffee, for peace and reflection, for music and art, and much more. The Minster features in many events that take place in the town, from the annual family Christmas Lights Switch On, the graduation ceremony for the University Centre Grimsby, and the annual service of remembrance.
The 13th century building was granted a charter by King John in 1201, fourteen years before he agreed to the Magna Carta in Runnymead.
The floor plan of the building consists of the important cruciform church with a main Nave, Aisles and the North and South Transepts forming the cross at their junction with the main Tower. There is a Chancel, with a Lady Chapel on the north side and the Resurrection Chapel (Memorial Chapel) to the South. The building is of Lincolnshire limestone, the high roofs are covered in grey slate. The main floor is stone, with a modern underfloor heating system. The inside of the building has maintained much of the 13th feel to the building with white limewashed walls and stone ribbing in the vaulted ceiling.
Its significant fixtures and fittings include a fifteenth-century knight effigy of Sir Thomas Haslerton in the Lady Chapel, brought from St Leonard’s Nunnery, Grimsby following the Dissolution of the Monasteries
Due to bomb damage during the second world war and restoration, the exterior facades gives the appearance of a 19th century building. Most of the original stained glass was lost as part of the bomb damage.
The West End Organ is by J W Walker & Sons and dates from 1951. It was built to replace an earlier instrument destroyed by the bombing. Parts of the pre-war instrument were incorporated within the new organ, notably soundboards and some pedal pipes.
When you visit, see if you can spot the St James Imp! Associated with a folk tale, it is said the Imp played tricks in the church and was turned into stone by an angel.
The church is often open for visitors and there is a small café at the back of the church. A number of concerts, exhibitions and events are held at the Minster. Do check their events page for the latest listings.