Cleethorpes Pier is one of the most photographed places in Cleethorpes. Follow our Instagram page for many amazing images captured by visitors and locals.
Opened in 1873 by Mr Grant Thorold of Weelsby, the structure was 370 metres long and supported by cast iron cylindrical columns. The deck constructed of pitch pine had a 800-capacity concert hall at the end.
In 1903 the pier head concert hall was destroyed by fire. A pavilion was built near the shore in 1905 and a café and shops on the site of the original building. During the war a hole was blasted in the decking to prevent the structure being accessed by Germans who may arrive by boat. The remains of the pier were finally taken down years later, and sold by the Council. Some of the material went to Filbert Street, the home of Leicester City Football Club.
In 1968 it was modernised to include a 600-seat concert hall, café and bar. It was transformed again in 1985 and the Pier was turned into a nightclub named Pier 39. Several other refurbishments and renewal works have taken place over the years. In 2013 the pier began major renovation works of £4.7 million to create a new high quality restaurant, tea room and ballroom. The transformation include a large stained glass window which became the centre-piece of the pier’s façade. It was named Pier of the Year in 2016 by the National Piers Society.
In 2016, the Pier was sold to ‘Papas Fish & Chips’ becoming the ‘world’s biggest fish and chip restaurant’.