Accessibility statement for DiscoverNEL.co.uk
This accessibility statement applies to https://www.discovernel.co.uk/
This website is run by North East Lincolnshire Council (NELC) and We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is:
This site is partially compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Level AA
We know several parts of this website are not currently accessible
- Not all interactive elements have sufficient visible focus
- Parts of the layout break on devices with a width of 320px
- There is no way to pause, stop or hide the image carousel
- Some text has insufficient contrast
- The menu does not communicate its state, via aria-expanded
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Call: 01472 313131
Address: NE Lincs Council Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU
The Council will consider your request and get back to you in 5 working days.
The Council is always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think the Council is not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: Digital-Inclusion@nelincs.gov.uk
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how the Council responds to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Council offices have audio induction loops and this facility is available at: North East Lincolnshire Council, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Find out how to contact us North East Lincs Council – Contact us
The Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard. The non-compliances are listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations:
The council have resolved several issues related to accessibility, on this site, however, we have not managed to complete the required works and the following non-compliances have not yet been resolved:
- The side menu is not programmatically associated with the Menu control, this fails Success Criterion (SC) 1.3.1 Info and Relationships Level A
- Inline links have a colour of #007BFF, often against a background (For example, in the Places to Explore section, on the Cultural Days page) of #F6F6F6, which results in a contrast ratio of 3.68:1, this fails SC 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) level AA
- At 200% zoom, the side menu is cut off, at the bottom and it is not possible to scroll to access the bottom section of the menu, this fails SC 1.4.4 Resize Text Level AA
- The image carousel on the Home page is not operable by keyboard, this fails SC 2.1.1 Keyboard Level A
- The image carousel on the Home page cannot be paused, stopped or hidden, this fails SC 2.2.2 Pause, Stop, Hide Level A
- The visible focus indicator does not always have sufficient contrast (for example, the main menu links), this fails SC 2.4.7 Focus Visible Level AA
- The menu does not communicate state, such as expanded or collapsed, this fails SC 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value Level A
The council do not believe that making this site accessible would be burdensome. The council are committed to making all of our websites accessible and we therefore do not seek to use disproportionate burden statement, on this site.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
All PDFs and other office file formats that were published before 23 September 2018 are not in the scope of the regulations, however, we will review all attachments where possible and replace with HTML as part of our continuous improvement process across our digital portfolio. Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Videos that were published before 23 September 2020 do not have captions and an audio description. Any new videos will only be published with these features, in order to provide pre-recorded media that can be accessed by everybody.
What the Council is doing to improve accessibility
We initially planned for this site to be accessible by the 23rd September, however, many of our specialist resources were diverted to the COVID-19 response, to keep our systems online and keep the community informed of the latest information, advice and guidance.
This has resulted in a short delay to making this site accessible, which is not how we planned the project. We aim to release an updated, WCAG 2.1 AA compliant version of this site before 23 January 2021.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 14 September 2020 It was last reviewed on 2 December 2020.
This website was last tested on 28 May 2020. The test was carried out by a member of our Web Team.
The site will undergo a further test after our Web Development team redesign the site.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test.
Core pages, such as:
- Home page
- Work page
- Stay page
- Play page
- Contact Us page
- About our Area page
- Jobs page
- Our Businesses page
- Health page
- Learning Here page
- Cultural Days page
- Events page
- Shopping page
- Accessibility page
- We are Group Friendly page
- Spring into Cleethorpes page